Neuro Note #1: OT's Role in Helping Kids Understand a Grandparent's Dementia

 
                                            See the source image

The article that I decided to partake in my first Neuro Notes post was an article posted by fellow Occupational Therapist (OT), Mandy Chamberlain, and it was titled, "OT's Role in Helping Kids Understand a Grandparent's Dementia." I specifically chose this resource, because as an aspiring OT, I truly believe that incorporating family into interventions can show positive results. Not to mention, the title caught my attention, because I believe that one day when I become a father, I might have to figure out creative and gentle ways to explain complex, in-depth situations to my children one day. This article promotes the book titled, "Weeds in Nana's Garden," which was written by Kathryn Harrison. This book covers the story of a grandmother and her granddaughter, but it portrays Kathryn's personal life. Kathryn's mother was diagnosed with young onset dementia, and her son and daughter began to be curious their Nana's changed behavior, speech, and movement. After breaking down the concept of dementia, her children started to interact with their Nana by throwing flowers in the garden, eating candy, singing nursery rhymes, and aiding the Nana in certain movements. The children still did not understand dementia entirely, until they noticed an abundance of untamed weeds in Nana's garden. I learned that educating the family members about the individual's diagnosis, while adding younger children into the interventions, can produce positive results. I learned Kathryn states, "the relationship between a child and the patient can be enriching for both." Although dementia is progressively declining symptoms; adding young family members helped the individual increase her confidence with herself, her family members, and to increase participation. It is a neat story to read, but I would only recommend the book to family members that resemble the same situation. That way if the parents cannot find the words to explain dementia, then this colorful and expressive book can help. The book itself was written in broken down terms to explain the complex symptoms of dementia for children. Therefore, I would only recommend it for educating younger family members. 


MOTR/L, M. C. (2016, April 15). OT’s Role in Helping Kids Understand a Grandparent’s Dementia. Seniors Flourish. https://seniorsflourish.com/kidsanddementia/

Comments

Popular Posts